AGM and Minutes

AGM of Stewartry Archaeological Trust (SC040018)

on

30th January 2016 at 1.55pm

Kingston, Rhonehouse.

 

Chairman welcomed all present.

 

Present

Robert McCubbin                                           Chairman

Alastair Penman                                              Project Director

Elizabeth Penman                                           Secretary

Jennifer Roberts                                              Treasurer

May Ford                                                        Committee Member

 

Apologies

James Hawkins                                               Vice Chairman

Joann Rogerson                                               Finds Officer

Stephen Clancy                                               WebMaster

 

Adoption of previous Minute of 31st January 2015

Proposed:  Jenny Roberts

Seconded:  May Ford

 

The Chairman signed the previous AGM Minute as correct and thanked everyone for attending as the weather has been dreadful.

 

Matters Arising

None

 

Chairman’s Report

 

A thank you to all who had worked hard last season.  Very successful season and hopes this season will go just as well and that we get good weather again. With Ingleston mothballed, there was nothing to report.  Chairman thanked all the committee for theirwork and said it was a shame not to see Joann, but we have so few finds from Newbarns.  Ingleston was the Site full of finds.  Hopefull this coming season might prove a little more fruitful.

A special thank you to our veteran diggers who were back again, and students we had this year were excellent workers.

 

Treasurer’s Report

 

The committee were given out a copy of the completed accounts, signed by Mrs. Diane McCubbin.  This year we have a little more than last year.  We have £1,221.83 in the Bank.

This includes £740 as donations and hopefully get back £185 in Gift Aid.  A little more than last year.

 

 

Excavation Director’s Report

 

Alastair started off by telling us of a little bit of exciting news.  The stone marked with the crude cross, found a few years ago but not disposed of, as we were sure it meant something, has been researched by the Excavatio Director.  He believes it to be a “Cursing Stone”, similar to that found on the Isle of Canna by national Trust investigators in the early years of the 21st Century.  This one has been dated to sometime after 800AD.  Sir Norman is quite excited about this as are we.

Opened up Area 5 and more burials.  Evidence of medieval buildings.  Jenny’s trench has channels, holes, stones etc.  Not sure what the feature is.  Contemporary with the Anglian playing corner house. Might have to cut another metre or so.

Area 10 – motte hill, palisade, gateway- attached to defences, causeway from loch – tinber across gateway – slots.  Nothing on top but trees after quarrying.  Could go up the side.

Told committee we had really good diggers this year thatmade a huge difference in the work done.

At this point the Directold us that the secretary had had a letter from James Hawkins, to say he is sadly retiring as Vice President due to ill-health.  Letter of thanks to be written by secretary.

 

Election of Office Bearers

 

Chairman:   R. McCubbin

Proposed:  A. Penman

Seconded:  M. Ford

 

Vice Chair:  No longer needed

 

Secretary:    E. Penman

Proposed: R. McCubbin

Seconded: A. Penman

 

Treasurer:   J. Roberts

Proposed:  E. Penman

Seconded:  A. Penman

 

Web Master:  S. Clancy

Unopposed

 

Finds Officer: J. Rogerson

Unopposed

 

Committee Members: May Ford

Oswin Young

Proposed:  A. Penman

Seconded:  M. Ford

 

Excavation Director:  A. Penman

Proposed:  R. McCubbin

Seconded:  J. Roberts

Accounts Examiner:  To be arranged at a later date.

 

Chairman welcomed our new committee member and date of next AGM meeting will be last Saturday in January 2017.

 

Meeting closed at 2.35pm.

 

Stewartry Archaeological Trust

SC040018

Committee Meeting held on Saturday, 30th January 2016

at

Kingston, Rhonehouse after AGM

 

Present

Robert McCubbin                   Chairperson

Elizabeth Penman                   Secretary

Jennifer Roberts                      Treasurer

Alastair Penman                      Director

May Ford                                Member

Oswin Young                          Member

 

Apologies

Joann Rogerson                       Finds Officer

Stephen Clancy                       Webmaster

 

Chairperson welcomed all present and thanked everyone for attending.

 

Minutes of previous Minute of 2nd May 2015 read.

Approved:  May Ford

Seconded:   R. McCubbin

 

Matters Arising

One of Jenny’s diggers who had promised to come arrived but took ill on site.  Jenny was disappointed with response but was told it was not her fault if people did not attend as promised.

 

Lizzie had not written to Diane but rectified her mistake soon after.

 

Grants:  Alastair has spoken to Sir Norman on  afew occasions re Robin Rigg funding.  Without anything we cannot afford as a Trust to put up a display board.

 

SAHF

Although we didn’t have any real response with putting this on website we will continue to do so as might eventually reap benefits of people attending.

 

Flyers

We have enough flyers for this season and Alastair will talk to Stephen about a Poster.

Can’t think of how to attract people to visit!  They take the flyers but do not turn up on site.  A few do but not the number of flyers that are taken.  Could we move the big banner?

 

Grants

Alastair has been trying to see Sir Norman about possible grants from Robin Rigg Wind Power.  He has not been able to see him yet.

 

We had a good variety of students old and new last season and they really worked hard.  Can’t beat the veterans.

Our American student, Brandon, was in contact with Jenny asking for a recommendation for him and a thank you for all help and assistance.

 

Liz will try and find out from Stephen if he ever found out anything about Treasure Trove exhibition, Kite Photography and Disclosure Scotland for Archaeological Sites.  As yet he has not come back to us on any of these as promised at the last meeting after AGM on 31st January 2015.

 

Kevin is quite willing to do the tidying up again.  Needs to be cheaper this year but he will only be doing the north site at £18 an hour.

May asked if we, ourselves, could strim but we cannot as we need licences etc to do this.

 

Donations themselves this year were poor but the diggers gave and signed Gift Aid forms which will help a lot.

 

Volunteer charges will be left the same at £45 a week up to 2 weeks.

£20 Booking Fee non-refundable.

Liz will remove travel from the information.

 

Season dates:  4ht July – 23rd September 2016.

 

Jenny:  Site Supervisor Area 6/8 and Depute Director when Alastair is away on holiday.

 

May:  Site Supewrvisor for Area 5.

 

Oss:  Site Supervisor for Area 10, the Hill.

 

Jenny will take her time off in September and is going on another N.T Dig at end of September.

 

Project Secretary/Treasurers Remuneration:  Look into again regarding our funding.  No money at moment to assist anyone.

 

Interim Report is underway but will be later than usual as Director had printer problems.

 

CBA entry in and BA fortnight.  D&E has also gone in.

 

Liz will write to Diane thanking her for proof reading report (to do yet) and for looking at our Accounts.

 

Fund raising:  No further forward.  We might be having a National Trust visit May said.

 

Treasurers Report as AGM.

 

 

 

AOB

Jenny was contacted by a friend Giles, from Norvik Archaeology, to ask if we could use their context sheets for students on site.  All agreed this was good for their training experiences.

 

Date of next Meeting to be arranged for May sometime.

 

Meeting closed at 3.35pm

 

Stewartry Archaeological Trust

SC040018

Committee Meeting held on Sunday, 29th May 2016

at

Kingston, Rhonehouse after AGM

 

Present

Robert McCubbin                   Chairperson

Elizabeth Penman                   Secretary

Jennifer Roberts                      Treasurer

Alastair Penman                      Director

May Ford                                Member

Oswin Young                          Member

 

Apologies

Joann Rogerson                       Finds Officer

 

As we had not heard from Stephen I could not give his apologies.

 

Chairperson welcomed all present and thanked everyone for attending.

 

Minutes of previous Minute of 30th January 2016 read.

Approved:  May Ford

Seconded:   Oss Young

 

Matters Arising

Liz had written to Diane thanking her after her omission from previous meeting.

 

Grants:  Alastair has spoken to Sir Norman on a few occasions re Robin Rigg funding.  Without anything we cannot afford as a Trust to put up a display board.  Community Councils have been closed I meantime, therefore no one to ask about this at moment.

 

SAHF

Although we didn’t have any real response with putting this on website we will continue to do so as might eventually reap benefits of people attending.

 

Stephen has produced Poster and it was shown round committee.  We will laminate them and get them out shortly.

 

Wondering if we could move big banner nearer to the gate but Sir Norman not keen.  Could we put a banner up at shop in Colvend but smaller?

 

Stephen has still not got back to us about matters he was looking into-Treasure Trove Display, Kite Photography and Disclosure Scotland for Digs.

 

May is hoping that the national Trust will bring their walking group on July 8th for a visit.  No time suggested.

 

Jenny has set up new Context Sheets for students.  It will be good practice for them as most other Digs have a system like this.  Our thanks to Jenny for setting this up.

Chairman’s Remarks

He asked how could everyone get onto SAT website and add photos and written updates.

We have covered everything as far as this season is concerned.

 

Director’s Report

Sir Norman wants the tool store moved and into the wood.  He has VIP’s coming and does not want it to be seen.  No option but to move it.  Asked permission to have Keith, a neighbour, down to move it.  All agreed.

Alastair is trying to contact Kevin to show him where needs strimming this year.  We have free hand with cutting small branches but have to ask about any trees.

Jim has checked dumpy level and painted frames etc.  Sir Norman asked about red and white posts and were told they were marker posts.

 

We are now one of 5 Sites that students get Academic Credits.

Bob will do finds if required and he is available.

We are ready to go and site is in good condition.

 

Treasurer’s Report

£923.28 in Bank.

Insurance has been paid.

Gift Aid for last season-£212.76

Liz told us that Constitution, Accounts and AGM Minute should now be on website for HMRC purposes.

 

AOB

Jenny brought up Risk Assessment.  We already had one but it was not up to date.  Jenny will, with help from her husband set it up properly.  I apologised for not keeping it up to date but we had only ever been asked for it 3 times in 14 years.

One reason is why we have coloured tape round some trenches and as long as we have hard hats available if required we should be covered.  Some will wear and some refuse.

 

Jenny has diggers who she is sure will turn up this season.  Names were given to committee.

 

To date we have David, Rob, Anwen, Iain, Frank and Jonathan booked.

7th August U3a visit.  Finds display possible-Bob/May.

 

May has been visiting a client at Dunjop Nursing Home to talk about history once a week in her own time.  Good on you May.

 

Chairman ended meeting at 2.45pm.

Unfortunately I have been unable to put the end of year statement on and have tried to change the format but can’t .  I will keep trying.  This is the first time in 2 years I have been able to access the site to do this.  Had an email from OSCR to say it would be good practice to have these on our website.

 

 

 

Comments are closed.